There are really no words to describe this dish to you. Amazing? Delightful? Best thing I've ever tasted? All of the above.
I don't know why, but after a long day of work, this spicy tofu taco really hit the spot, making me excited for leftovers the next day for lunch. Any anyone who knows me, knows I hate leftovers!
Check out the recipe below to make it yourself.
- 1/2 package of firm tofu cut into chunks
- 1/2 serrano pepper (more or less depending on your spice preference)
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- zest of 1/2 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime, save other half for more juice in guac
- garlic powder, salt, and pepper for seasoning
- tortilla (optional: use gluten free)
- 1 avocado, mashed
- In saute pan, add in olive oil and turn on medium heat.
- Add shallots, garlic, pepper, and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add tofu chunks, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper for more seasonings and let cook for about 15-20 minutes until the tofu has a nice thick outside.
- Meanwhile, add your red cabbage, vinegars, honey, lime juice and zest, and seasonings to a bowl and mix to create your salad.
- Take a separate bowl, and mix your mashed avocado with garlic powder (add more or less how you want your guac to taste), lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Place your tortilla on a plate, layer on your cabbage salad, tofu, and guacamole.
- And enjoy!