Healthy Turkey and Carrot Meatball Sub

I have been CRAVING a meatball sub for weeks now, and I'm not quite sure why. I've never wanted a meatball sub in my life and for some weird reason, I couldn't move on with life until I got one. I almost (keyword being ALMOST) walked over to Subway during lunch one day, but I stopped myself and thought, well, why don't I make my own meatball sub? And why don't I make it healthier? Then, just like fate, I got my monthly gluten free box of products from Taste Guru and two of the items were baguettes from Schar. And that's when I decided I was spending my Friday night making a healthy turkey, carrot, and oat meatball sub with TONS of leftovers.

Ingredients (serve 8; adjust recipes for smaller servings):
  • 4 long baguettes (can be gluten free or not)
  • 1 pound of lean turkey meat
  • 2 carrots, shredded
  • 1/2 cup of gluten free oats
  • 1/2 cup quinoa flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp dried basil
  • 3 tsp truffle salt
  • more garlic powder and pepper to taste
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 more tbsp dried basil (for sauce)
  • salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
  • Cheese of choice (can be non-vegan)
Steps:
  1. In a large bowl, mix turkey, eggs, shredded carrots, oats, flour, 3 cloves minced garlic, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and basil. Mix well, cover, and place in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. This will help mold the meatballs and avoid them from falling apart, if they do (but they shouldn't).
  2. After  20-30 minutes have passed put tomato sauce, chopped onion, garlic, paprika, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, basil, and other spices of choice in a saucepan on medium heat and cover.
  3. Preheat your oven to 375.
  4. While your tomato sauce is cooking, mold your meatballs into 1 inch balls (or whatever size you prefer) and place on a baking sheet.
  5. Put meatballs in oven for 20-30 minutes until meatballs are cooked through. 
  6. Slice your baguettes and place on another baking sheet. Layer meatballs on top of bread, sauce on top of meatballs, and cheese on top of sauce. Do not close your sandwich. 
  7. Place sub in hot oven for 5-10 more minutes until cheese has melted and your bread is toasted. Keep in mind if you do use non-dairy cheese it will take longer for the cheese to melt if at all, so just be aware.

I made the entire recipe above and I saved my meatballs for future dinners!
Hope you enjoy!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Jillian Does Food
Maira Gall