11 Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

I love vinegar. Pretty much all kinds, but recently, I've been hooked on apple cider vinegar and I try to incorporate it into as many meals as I can (mainly salads though). Apple cider vinegar is really good for you and has many benefits. I did some research and found that it:
  • helps stomach troubles because it contains pectin, which helps soothe intestinal spasms.
  • prevents indigestion 
  • beats exhaustion through potassium and enzymes that relieve fatigue
  • the anti-glycemic effects of apple cider vinegar helps to improve insulin sensitivity, which is essential to maintain the sugar levels of blood
  • boosts weight loss because it speeds up metabolism
Other health benefits of apple cider vinegar:
  • clears a stuffy nose
  • stops hiccups
  • soothes a sore throat
  • cuts down nighttime leg cramps
  • whitens teeth
  • gets rid of bad breath

So now that you know how great apple cider vinegar is, I'd like to share two salad recipes I've been obsessed with. For Christmas I got a salad spinner that also doubles as a storage container, so at the beginning of the week, I prepare all of my lettuce and vegetables and take it when I please. I make the dressing and store it in an air tight container.

Beet and Sweet Potato Salad
Adapted from www.dishingupthedirt.com


Salad Ingredients:
  • 6 cups lettuce (I used romaine)
  • 1 red beet cut into matchsticks
  • 1 white sweet potato peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • 1 small red onion diced
  • 1 can of chick peas
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup walnuts (I used pumpkin seeds because I hate walnuts)
Dressing Ingredients:
  • 2 1/3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp raw honey
  • 2 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1 large minced scallion
  • 1/4 cup evoo
  • 1/4 tsp salt (I used my truffle salt which I am obsessed with)
 Directions
  1. For the dressing, mix all ingredients in blender or in bowl and set aside
  2. Add beets and sweet potato matchsticks into boiling water for about 10 minutes until fork tender, then rinse in cold water
  3. In large salad bowl, combine all vegetables
  4. Drizzle dressing over, and save some for leftovers
Cucumber, Apple, and Ginger Mint Salad


Salad Ingredients:
  • 4 cups romaine lettuce
  • Sliced green apple  (matchsticks again)
  • Sliced cucumber (matchsticks)
  • 1 sweet onion diced
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
  • handful of pumpkin seeds
Dressing Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup evoo
  • 1 tsp chopped fresh mint
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh ginger (alt 1 tsp ground)
  • 2 tsp honey
Directions:
  1. Mix dressing ingredients in bowl and set aside (adjust your dressing if you want more mint or more ginger)
  2. In a large bowl, mix all vegetables
  3. Drizzle salad with as much dressing as you want, save some for later, too
Enjoy!

Credits:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Jillian Does Food
Maira Gall