I wish I had more pictures because these sushi rolls were OUT OF THIS WORLD. Not even kidding.
This was a complete experiment and I'm so happy I tried it. Who knew that having left over rice, coleslaw veggies (in the bag), a sweet potato I've been meaning to use for a week now, and extra nori paper on hand would create such a wonderful tasting thing.
The sweetness of the sweet potato marries perfectly with the saltiness and savory-ness of the pesto.
Check out the easy recipe below - I made it in under 15 minutes, maybe even 10.
Brown rice and quinoa microwavable package (or just leftovers)
Handfuls from a package of pre-cut broccoli and carrot coleslaw
1-2 cloves garlic (depending on how garlicy you like the taste)
Juice of 1 lemon
1-2 tbsp olive oil (start with 1 and add more depending on consistency)
dash of salt and pepper
Handful of pumpkin seeds
Handful of basil
1. Microwave your sweet potato per microwave instructions
2. While microwaving, blend your pesto, who needs measurements for pesto? Just throw it all in and play it by ear (start with less liquids and add more if your pesto consistency is too thick)
3. Set pesto aside
4. Once sweet potato is finished, take out your nori paper and assemble your sushi roll
- Spread the sweet potato on the bottom section of the paper, closest to you
- Add spoonfuls of rice on top
- Add slaw mix on top of that layer
6. Slice if you'd like or leave to eat burrito style!
Make sure to dip or spoon your pesto on top. Enjoy!